A BRİEF HISTORY OF KONYA
The early permanent settlements in Konya and its province go back to prehistoric times. So many findings of the cultures of the Paleolithic, Neolithic, Kalkolithic, Early Copper and Bronze Age were discovered within the period of time in the province of Konya.
Konya has been an old permanent settlemet province, a cradle for many civilizations since people started to run a settled life in 7000 B.C. As we remember the usage of writing began 3500 B.C, Konya is considered one of the oldest settlements of the world history.
Catalhoyuk, located within the province of Konya, is known as a centre of the first cultivation made in the world history, common defence made against wild animals, first fire were discovered, the first permanent settlement were made, the first food culture began. Konya has always been in the centre of civilization. Hittite and Lycian 6th century B.C.; Persian 4th century B.C; Alaxander the Great, Selevkos, Bergama Kingdom 2nd century B.C. and the Romans in 395 A.C. had ruled the city of Konya and its province. Sasanies at the beginning of the 7thcentury, Amawiys at the middle of the same century with the commander of Muawiyah temporarily occupied Konya. Konya was a predominant Byzantine province till 10th century; the penetration of Islam into Anatolia brought the Arabian attacks. First Turk raiders those who came to Konya before Malazgirt Victory (1069) were Seljuk Turks.
The Great Seljuk Sultan Alparslan opened the gate of Anatolia for Turks in 1071. The Sultan Alparslan after the victory ordered his commanders to invade Anatolia wholly. Konya was conquered by Kutlmısoglu Suleyman Shah. After that he faced towards the west conquered Iznik and preferred it to be a center of the Anatolia Seljuk Empire which was established in 1074. Following the conquest of Iznik the period of Turk-Islam began. Thus Anatolia Seljuk State was established in 1074 and its capital city was Iznik. During the first crusade in 1097 Iznik was lost the capital city was moved to Konya. Thus a new page began in its history, Konya was developed day by day decorated by variety of architectures and it became one of the most frourishing cities in Anatolia in a short time.
Despite German Empire F. Barbarossa sieged Konya (18th of May 1190) during the thirt crusade he could not invade the castle which was defended by sedond Kılıcarslan. Eventually he had to leave. Konya remained as a capital city until the end of the Seljuk Empire (1308). Later it was ruled by Karamanogulları as the biggest city of Karamanogulları State.
Konya was included into the border of the Ottoman Empire (1467) and now it is growing larger and developing rapidly on its way as one of the biggest and important city of the Republic of Turkey conveying its enormous heritages to the future generation.
It is located in the boarder of Çumra district in the place of Küçükköy. One of the most important archaeological field, Çatalhöyük’s past goes back to 7000-8000 B.C. years. Archaeological excavations which were begun by James Mellaart in 1961 and it was stopped in 1963, later it was re-began its studies by Prof. Ion Hodder. So many valuable excavation findings included goddess Kibele statue are displayed in the Konya Archeolgy Museum. Besides this archaeological excavation works are still continuing.
It is an archaic city located southwest of Konya in the village of Gökyurt; as if Kilistra is a small Kapadokya. It is on the famous King’s Road. St. Paulos, whose name is mentioned in the Bible, is believed to have stopped by on his journey. At the west of Kilistra which was located on an archaic city, there are chapels bored in the rocks, water reservoir and vinestored in the Söğütlüdere. Morever, at the west of the village there are valleys lay down to the mountains full of beauties as beautiful as Peribacaları.
EFLATUN PINARI (PURPLE SPRİNG)
It is located 22 kms from the town of Beyşehir, established during the period of Hittite 12th century B.C. one of the most important monuments after Hattushas. There is a holy pool 40 metres in high and 30 metres in wide in front of the monument. This monument symbolizes the gods who carry the sky and connect the sky with the earth and there is some figures that are depicting gods of the storm, the sun, the mountain and the spring of the multi-gods Hittite.
THE FASILLAR MONUMENT
The Fasillar monument, located 18 kms East of the city Beyşehir, is one of the largest rock monuments in the world. At he same time the fasillar monument is located in a village where the city of Misthia ramshackles of the period of Byzantine are located too depicts the Great God between two lions in a mountainous temple.
IVRIZ ROCK MONUMENT
Ivriz is located in the border of the district Ereğli of Konya. This monument belongs to Tuvana Kingdom established about 2000 B.C. and the Relief God that was sculptured on a rock in the water spring has a fascinating beauty. Ivriz, which fascinats people by its naturel beauty and serves with its spring waters as a resort is well worth seeing.
The famous Seljuk Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat constructed Kubadabat Palace where is located on the west coast of the Beyşehir Lake and on the north side of the district Gölyaka. Architect of the palace was Sadettin Köpek who was a hunting commander in that time. The best of the Seljuk tiles art which was decorated on the wall of the palace contains doble headed eagle owl depicting prosperity of Seljuks, female and male eagle, stork, peacock, eagle figures etc. were portrayed. Archeological axcavations still are made and the tile arts findigns are displayed in Karatay Museum Konya.
MEKE CRATER LAKE
Meke Crater Lake is located 8 kms from the district of Karapınar. It is circle shaped like an island located at the middle of the lake which is called Meke at the top of the hill that was made of volcano remainings. This hill created another three hillock. All the surroundings of the hill was covered by dark ashes. Its depth is no more than 12 metres. The lake’s salty water mixed with magnesium and sodium sulfate is coming out from the earth. As it is a sole crater lake, Meke Crater Lake, of Turkey in Karapınar region, its location as it is like a hidden beauty in the middle of the desert as magnificent as to estonish people those who perceive it first time.
At the bank of Beyşehir Lake with its incomparable nature beatuties and walking fields to observe sunsetting and recording this moment is a privilege. Islands that are valued with historical and touristic sites within the lake are worth of seeing beauties too.
Göksu stream which is fed by streams coming from high plateau of the Middle Tourus Mountains, flows to the southern side meeting with fresh sky blue water that is admired observing by those who see it sometimes on the surface sometimes in its way under the ground embraces Mediterranean See. One of the paradise corners of our country with its nature beauty, Göksu stream with its falls located in Yerköprü place the disctrict of Hadim reflects unsatisfied beauties. It is one of the magnificent nature beauties on the Göksu stream that is a wonder of nature that was created by the result of the travertine layer to be remained hanging by the process of sedimentation of travertine on alluvium which was appeared by the impact of Göksu.
The biggest lake of the region was a tectonic formation. Its depth is not much. Despite the lake’s field expands in the winter and in the spring, its field become smaller because of evaporation and weak raining. Salt Lake which produces 30 % of salt needs of Turkey attracts attention of people with its uncomparable landscape.
Obruk lake is a magnificent nature beauty which is its colour cahnged each of the day according to the day light and it is 145 metres in depth.
Meram’s weather, waters and vineyards were cited in chronicles, songs, and poems. It is located 7 kms to the cith centre of Konya and it is surrounded by forests which is a resort enjoyed to be visited by local and foreign tourists.
MEVLÂNA JELALEDDİN RÛMÎ
Mevlâna Jelaleddin Rûmî who have been influencing the whole world for centuries, enlightening the human beings is an outstanding scholar and a philosopher. The journey that began from Belkh and ended in Konya presented Mevlâna Jelaleddin Rûmî who is the greatest sufi philosopher and an artist throughout the human history. Konya became a peaceful, comfortable and a tolerance city due to Mevlâna philosophy. His Mathnawi is now enlightening thousands of hearts. Mevlâna is also well known scholars and thinker enlightening human beings with his works beside Mathnawi, Divân-ı Kebir (the Great Divan), Fîh-i mâ Fîh (what he has in him is in him), Mektûbât (Letters) ve Mecâlis-i Seb’a (Seven Courts) in every corner of the world.
Location of the Mevlânâ Lodge which is presently used as a museum, formerly the Rose Garden of the Seljuks Palace and it was presented as a gift by Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat to Mevlânâ's father Bahaeddin waled who is known as Sultan al-Ulama (Master of the Scholars). When Bahaeddin Waled died in 1231 he was buried the present grave which is in the mausoleum. When Mevlâna Jelaleddin Rûmî died on 17 December 1273 his son Sultan Waled accepted the request of those who wanted to build a mausoleum over Mevlâna’s grave. Seljuk Vizier Emir Pervane and his companions built a mausoleum over Mevlâna’s grave costed highly expensive which was made mahruti domed furnished by tiles. The tomb’s architect is Bedreddin from Tebriz. Mevlâna Lodge and the mausoleum started to function as a museum in 1926 under the name of “Konya Museum of Historical Antique Works”. In 1954 the display pattern of the museum was once more refurbished and it was renamed as the “Mevlâna Museum”. The courtyard of the museum is entered from “Derwişan Kapısı” (The gate of the Derwishes). There are rooms along the north and west sides of the courtyard. These rooms were built by Sultan Murat III for habitation of derwishes in 1584. Some of the rooms are at present used as an administration offices, two of them to the left of the gate used as “Postnişin” and “Mawlavi Han” rooms are kept in their original form and displayed and the last two rooms at the end are allocated to the very valuable book collections donated by Abdülbaki Gölpınarlı and Dr. Mehmet Önder. The matbah (kitchen) is on the south west corner of the museum. Until the lodge was converted to a museum the meals were being provided this section was restored in 1990 and the display was re-arranged with mannequins. In here cooking, the basic function of the kitchen and the “somat” the special table routine is demonsrated with mannequins. The south side, after Matbah (the kitchen) and Hürrem Pasha mausoleums, terminates with the gate of Hamûşân (Sealed Lips) which opens to üçler cemetery. In Mawlavi order the dead are called by Hamûşân (Sealed Lips). Semahâne is located in the middle of the garden. Immediately wooden windged door is opened to the tilavet ( Qur’an reciting and chanting) room. This room contains full of very valuable calligraphy arts. From here Huzûr-u Pîr (the hall of the mausoleum) where Mevlâna and his relative’s graves are located is entered from a silver door which was donated in 1599 by Hasan Pasha, who is the son of Sokullu Mehmet Pasha. Here, the oldest copıes of the famous works of Mevlâna the “Mathnawi” and “Divân-ı Kebîr” are displayed in two glass fronted cabinets. Under the high sarcophagus, Mevlâna's father Sultanu'l-Ulemâ Bahaeddin Veled was buried. The sarcophagus, which is over the Mevlâna’s father Bahaeddin Veled, is one of the sample of wooden work of Seljuk masterpiece and was made for Mevlâna when Süleyman the Magnificent had a new marble sarcophagus made over the graves of Mevlâna, the original one was removed and put over the grave of his father. Mevlâna’ sarcophagus is right under the Green Dome which was furnished with hattî, nebatî and hendesî decorations over the embroidery trunk depicts like a conversion of a wooden to the pure art. One of the sarcophagus which is decorated by tail in the mausoleum belongs to Muzafferiddün Emir Âlim Çelebi and the other one belongs to Jelale Hatun whose Mevlâna’s grandchild. Rest of the mausoleums are here in sequence Hüsameddin, Baytemüroğlu Şeyh Keramüddin, Emir Şemseddin Yahya, Mevlâna’ daughter Melike Hatun, and Khorassan men are placed. Right at the feet of these, the April Bowl, made for Ilhanlı King Ebu Said Bahadır Khan.
The Semahâne (Ritual Hall) section was built always with two neighbour section; one side was pertained to mesjid (small mosgue) and the other side was pertained to mausoleum in Dervish Lodges. Ornamented starry arch, which covers the mausoleum, and calligraphy with decorations on the wall add such a spiritual meaning to this post. Semah ceromonies were continued at this ritual hall until 1926, when the Dergah (Derwish lodge) was converted to a museum. The Nat Pew in the Hall, the olace where the musicians set (Mutrip rooms) and the sections for men and women are preserved in their original state, while metal and wooden objects and musical instruments of the Mewlevi are displayed. Courtyard is given a special flavour with the roofed washing fountain (Shadırwan) built by Sultan Yavuz Sultan Selim in 1512 and the “Sheb-I Arus” (nuptial night or the night Mevlânâ passed away) pool and the fountain which is located in the nothern part of the court and called Selsebil.
MEVLÂNA CULTURE CENTRE
Mevlânâ Culturel Centre, about 1kms from Mevlânâ Museum, is located near to the historical Üçler Cemetery. The centre, about 100.000 m² field ground, is able to provide enough seat and location for every activities can be organized.
Within the centre there are two, open air and covered, semahane (ritual hall). The festivals, which was celebrated in every December for the name of Mevlâna Jelaleddin Rûmî, is commemorated under the biggest kandil (oil lamp) of the world, with its so many places; fuaye, exhibition hall, cafeteria library, research centre, meeting and show halls.
The centre that will be the heart of the culturel activities in any time of the year will contribute a new undertanding to the culturel and turism life of Konya. it is also as high quality magnificence as enough to be a very important meeting place where the world’s attraction is always upon them.
Konya has many historical, culturel reamins because of being a capital city for especially Seljuk civilization for many years.
ALAADDİN HİLL VE MOSQUE
The history always talks in praise about Alaaddin Keykubat. He is an enlightened protector of the art activities, a proficient commander, a leader and an expert craftsman. He is the one who invited and accommodated an inteligent and a wisdom person Mevlânâ to Konya. However, his the most perfect work that is identical with his name in Konya is the famous palace of Seljuk Sultans which were built at the north of the Alaaddin Hill. The palace that was built up at a very strategic locationin in a strong ramparts has only one wall that is remaingin now. Despite of this Alaaddin Mosque which was built up at the hill is still surviving intact with its impressive beauty. The construction of the oldest and the biggest mosque of the period of Anatolia Seljuk in Konya was begun in the time of Seljuk Sultan Rukneddin Mesut I (1116-1156), was continued at the time of Kılıçarslan II, and was complated in 1221, during the time of Alaaddin Keykubat. The mosque’s architecture was built with Islamic style; its roof was covered by wooden and earth. The most impressive part of the mosque which was built with 41 stone marble colomnar pertained by classical and Byzantine period is its minbar. One of the most significant samples of Anatolia Seljuks wooden embroidery of The minbar made of ebony wooden which is a masterpiece was made by Mengum Berti from Ahlat in 1155. There is a field which was covered by a dome that was decorated by çini (piece of earthenware decorated with opague colored glazes and motifs that are charecteristic of Turkish art) in front of the Mihrap (niche of a mosque indicating the direction of Mecca) which was decorated by çini. Partly çini of the Mihrap and dome was pulled up. Historian Eflaki says that Mevlâna was giving speech when the mosque was built. A mausoleum was added constructured later next to the mosque during the time of Kılıçarslan II. There are eight sarcophagus, which was decorated by çini, belongs to Seljuk Sultans in this mausoleum.
THE INCE MINARE MUSEUM
Located in the norht of Alaaddin mosque, was built during the reign of the Seljuk ruler Izzeddin Keykuvas II by the Seljuk vizier Sahib Ata Fahreddin Ali as a madrasah to be thought the Hadith study in 1254. It was designed by the architect Kellük bin Abdullah. The stone door which is a masterpiece of stone work of Seljuk is decorated with Seljuk ornamentation written Yasin and Fatih Qur’anic chapters decorated by embossed with geometric and naturel decorations. The internal side of the building consists of courtyard, pavillion, classrooms, and student hostels. Minaret bases were built by hewn stone with brick materials. It has double minaret balcony that is made half pyramit shaped triangle and twelve angled and its body corners are turquoise blue glazed bricks. Its was destroyed up to the first balcony because of a thunderbolt in 1901. It became a public museum in 1956, wherein wooden and stone works of the Rulers of the Seljuk and Ottoman periods are displayed.
THE KARATAY MUSEM
The Karatay musem, located near to the Ince Minare museum, was built by Emir Jelaleddin Karatay who voiced out his name as an outstanging statesman as Sahib Ata Fahreddin Ali through his artistic features of works in 1251. The Karatay museum, which is its architect unknown, was served as a madrasah in Ottoman period unti the end of the 19th century. The Karatay madrasah which is having a considerable role about tile works in the period of Anatolia Seljuk, tuned into a public museum in 1955 as “A Museum of Tile Works”. In Karatay Museum, the excavation findings; wall tiles, tile and glass plates in Kubadabat Palace wherein Beyşehir lake coast and tile, porcelain plates, lamps, gypsum findings in Konya and its around of the Seljuk period and Ottoman periods are displayed in the museum.
THE SIRÇALI MEDRESE MUSEUM
The Sırçalı Medrese which is from a Seljuk period was built by Bedreddin Muhlis in 1242, as a school for the Fıqh (Islamic Jurisprudence). It became a public museum in 1960 as a “Tomb Monuments Museum” is one of the museums decorated by tiles. Historically and artistically significant tombstones which were excavated from graveyards that were expropriated in the city of Konya are classified through its period like Seljuks, Beyliks and Ottomans and are displayed. Even more the tombstones are cronologically classified by its shape, pattern and letter types.
SADREDDİN KONEVİ MOSQUE AND MAUSOLEUM
Sadreddin Konevi mosque was built in 1274 its name was given by Sheykh Sadreddin who is a well-known autstanding schoolar in his time, originally from Malatya settled in Konya. He was born in Malatya in 1207 and passed away in Konya in 1274 had an opportunity to take lessons from schoolars of his century travelled different culturel centres of the Islamic world, had a chance to know closely the life of knowledge and intellect of his period.
Molla Sadreddin who taught Hadith and took attention in respect of that he brought new interpretations to Muhyiddin Ibn Arabi’s thoughts and had a relationship with his contemporary Mevlâna Jelaleddin Rûmî is one of the most autstanding sufi personalities in the history of Sufism.
Who was connected to Mevlâna with a deep love and respect Sadreddin Konevi’s mausoleum is located in the east of the mosque. It is only sole example of open mausoleum style which remains standing. The mausoleum’s shaple looks like Seljuk style kümbet (conical roof). The body is opened, over its basis that is decorated by marble embroidery there is a wooden conical roof like a cage was constructed on the mausoleum which was supported by a cornered tanbur.
SHEMS TABRIZI MOSQUE AND MAUSOLEUM
Considerable changes in Mevlâna Celâleddin Rûmî’s life began after meeting Shems Tabrizi. when he was occupied with teaching in madrasas and giving speeches in the mosques up to this date was complately changed after meeting Shems Tabrizi. Shems Tabrizi whose original name is Mevlâna Muhammed was born in Tabriz, his spiritual seeking was stopped by meeting Mevlâna. Shems who shuns the world and its pleasures devoted himself to worship and pious works, at the end of the three years being together with Mevlâna made a new horizons to be achieved in his life and made him a God lover. Mevlâna did not forget his friend, the Diwan he had written varitably attributed to Shems.
It is said that Shems Tabrizi mosque as known, today in Konya, “Shems Makamı” that has been visited first before visit Mevlâna was first built 13th century. This present construction with mosque together was expanded and reconstructed by Emir Ishak Bey in 1520. However, those who have it made is unknown. The mosque is joined to its parts and it is covered by ceiling from inside and pyramidal conical roof on octagon tambur from outside. The mausoleum which was shaped with eyvan (a vaulted room with one side is open to a court) joines to the mosques along with a wooden Bursa arch which was decorated by pen work. On the other sides there are two windows which were located one at the botom the other one is at the top. It was assuming that under the sarcophagus which is covered one there was a well however, recent investigations made it clear that it was not a well but a mummy storage. The mausoleum that was built its body in stone and conical roof in brick was repaired in 1977.
There are a lot of mosques and madrasah in the city centre which reflect Konya’s magnificien and brilliant periods of time.
Some of them are as follow:
Iplikçi mosque is situated on the Alaaddin street. Construction was built by Shemseddin Altunaba after 1201, expanded and renovated by Somunce Ebubekir in 1332. The mosgue was named Iplikçi because it is located in the Iplikç bazaar. During the period of 1951-1960 it was used as “a museum of calsic works” after 1960 it was turned into a mosque.
SAHİP ATA MOSQUE AND COMPLEX
Sahip Ata, one of the viziers of the Seljuk Empire, had the mosque built between 1258-1283. It includes a tomb, a Turkish bath, and a hanigah. The architect was Abdullah Keluk.
The mosque, located at the west of the Mevlânâ Lodge, was originally begun in 1558 during Sultan Selim II, who was a prince and the governor of Konya, and completed in 1587. The mosque is a prominent example of classical Ottoman architecture in Konya.
At the north of the mosque, there is seven domed narthex which were structured on six columns and a main gate. Two minarets with a balcony are located at the left and the right side of the narthex.
Located at the centre of the city Konya. This mosque is a prominent example of late Ottoman architecture which was made by Hewn Gödene stone. The mosque which was built by Shayh Ahmed between 1671-1676 burnt down in a fire and was reconstructed with the help of Sultan Abdulaziz for the sake of his mother Pertenihal and it was called the present name. The mosque that was constructed in Turk baroque style has two fountaine structured minarets which was located both side of three domed narthex that was situated on six marble column attract attention. It is covered by a commodious dome.
Located in the south direction of Government palace. The mosque was constructed first time by Sheikh Sherafeddin in 12th century. This original building was destroyed completely in 1336 and it was reconstructed by Mehmet Çavuşoglu Bey. The body of the mosque was covered by a huge dome made of hewn stone. The dome was situated on ten elephant feet and it was supported by a half dome in the south. The mihrab is flooding the building. There is second floor mahfils in evry part of the mosque except south part. The mosque was decorated by writings and embroideries. Marble emroidered minber and mihrab are considerably significant art. One balcony minaret was added later.
Located on the Tevfikiye street in the city centre of Konya. Originally it was called Ihyaiyye mosque later it has been called Kapı mosque because the location of the mosque was around one of the gate of the castle of Konya. The mosque first time was constructed by one of the Postnishes of Mewlevi Lodge Pir Hüseyin Çelebi. The mosque which became demolished in time, was reconstructed by Mufti of Konya Esenlizade Seyyid Abdurrahman in 1811. The mosque was burnt down in a fire with the charity shops attached to the mosque in 1867. About the new construction, its inscription dated 1285 H. (1868 A.C.) is hung on the stone gate. The Kapı mosque is the biggest mosque in Konya during the Ottoma period. There is a high narthex which is contructed on ten marble columns located at the north of the mosque and a low arched gate. Besides there are two gates located in the east and the west. The mosque, which was constructed by hewn stones, was covered by a roof from out side by eight domes in different sizes from inside.
HACI VEYİSZADE MOSQUE
The contruction of the mosque, which holds one of the significant scholar’s name Hacı Veyiszada, was begun in 1988. Haci Veyiszade complex, located in the city centre, includes publication, guesthouse, mufti’s office, its capacity is about ten thousand person. The mosque has the highest minarets of the region with two minarets constructed with three balconies 78 metres in high.
The mosque, which is a heirloom of Eşrefoglu Beylik located in the city centre of Beyşehir is one of the significant historical values from past to the future. The mosque which is located on a rectangle field lied down from the north to the south has two gates in the east and the west besides the maing gate. Eşrefoglu mosque was first contructed by an order of Seljuk ruler Sultan Sancar in 1134 later it was reconstructed by Eşrefoglu Süleyman Bey in 1297 became the most significant wonderful arts of the world within wooden works.
SILLE AYA ELENA CHURCH
Sille which has a special meaning for Anatolia civilization and was a place where different cultures were living in peace and a significant centre for early Christiyanity period. After Christ in 327, Byzantium Emperor Constantine’s mather Helena whilst she was going to Quds for pilgrimage stoped off in Konya had saw the significant carved temples from the early Christianity period, she then had decided to have a temple constructed. Aya Elena church reached the present time through many constructions have been applied for centuries. There is an inscription written in Greek alphabet in Turkish about the history of the church where is located over the internal gate. Another three lined inscription indicates that the church was restored at the time of Sultan Mejit. The church was constructed by smooth hewn stone. Rooms that were carved in its courtyard are available. Narthex is approached through the north gate of the church. Bidirectional stone stairs which lead to the women mahfil are located here. The church’s main dome is situated on four elephant feet, it has three nefl. Within the church, the wooden preaching seat (throne-like) which its top was decorated with gypsum and a wooden gypsumed latticework which devides the main hall are an art masterpiece. There are pictures of Christ, holy Mary and apostles on the passing places of the domes and on the columns.
HASBEY DAR'ÜL HUFFAZ
Located in Gaziâlemşah district. It was constructed by Mehmet Bey the son of Hacı Hasbey at the time of Karamanoğlu Mehmet II as “hostel of those who have memorized the Qur’an” in 1421. The brick made body was situated on a square plan and its top was covered by hewn stone along with three sides. The north side where is the main gate was decorated with embroidered marbles. The body of the building was joined to the dome with triangle angleirons. Two each side of the triangles were decorated by tiles. There is also a beautiful mihrab decorated with tiles.
MERAM HASBEY MOSQUE
Located in Meram where is a historical resort. It is constructed for the name of Mehmet the son of Haybey. The mosque was built by hewn stones and covered by an earth roof. Its minbar is rather simple. There is a Dar-ül huffaz located next to the mosque. It is situated on a square plan. And it is now used as a library for children.
GREEN MAUSOLEUM (KUBBE-İ HADRA)
Green mausoleum, located on four elephant feet (thick columns) is a Seljuk masterpiece. It has 16 sliced conical hat from external side. Ayet-el Kürsi is written on the joining point where cylinder and conical hat joins. Dome are decorated with various motifs, decorations and kufi style verses. Mevlâna and Sultan Veled’s graves are located right under the dome. The the double hunched marble sarcophagus over the graves was donated by Süleyman the Magnificent. Sultan Abdülhamit II had the quilt embroidered with gold thread placed over the sarcophagus made in 1894. The sarcophagus which is over the Mevlâna’s father Bahaeddin Veled is a Seljuk masterpiece and was made for Mevlâna in 1274. when Süleyman the Magnificent had a new marble sarcophagus made over the graves of Mevlâna and son in 1565, the original wood one was removed and put over the grave of Mevlâna’s father.
Located in Meram where is a historical resort. It belongs to Sheyh Tavus Mehmet el-Hindi who died at the time of Alaeddin Keykubat I in Konya. The mausoleum, which was constructed by stones and bricks is a simple structure with a tonas domed.
ATEŞ BAŞ VELİ MAUSOLEUM
Located in old Meram road. It is like a clasic Seljuk style tomb. The mauseloum belongs to Mevlevi Ateş Baz Yusuf who died in 1285. it is constructed with eight cornered body made by hewn stones covered with an octagon conical hat made by bricks. There is a door which takes you to the underground where is under the gate which was made stone arched.
GÖMEÇ HATUN MAUSOLEUM
Located in Musalla Graveyard. The mausoleum was designed in a different style compare to the Seljuk mausoleums. Its ground was constructe by pointing arched cradle bingi arch iwan. Most of the sections were built by hewn stone and the rest was built by bricks. It resembles a castle from external view. The iwan within arches are decorated with mosaics. It is said that the mausoleum was built for Anatolia Seljuk Sultan Rükneddin Kılıç Arslan’s wife IV Gömeç Hatun.
ALİ GAV DERVİSH LODGE AND MAUSOLEUM
Located in Tarla district. It is a Dervish lodge in madrasah which was built in 14th century. Ali Gav Baba who one of Hacı Bayram-ı Veli’s relatives is buried. It has four rooms and an iwan.
NASREDDİN HODJA MAUSOLEUM (AKŞEHİR)
A Great philosopher and a master of humour Nasreddin Hodja was born in Sivrihisar stayed in Akşehir and passed away in here. Nasreddin Hodja who has principle to make people think while laughing. His mausoleum is located in a cemetery which is called in his name in the east of the city wall. The present building, which was lost its original apprearance by so many restorations was structured by the city governor Şükrü Bey in 1905. Only the main mausoleum in the middle was left from the old building. The date of his death 683 H. (1284 A.C) where on the top of the marble coffin was written in reverse as 386 to symbolize the humour master’s life.
Konya, which carries such a great civilization in its heart is one of the unique cities that has the most significant examples of civil architectures.
Some of them is here:
Zazadin caravansary was built by one of the Seljuk Emirs Vezier Sadettin Köpek at the time of Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat in 1236 (A.C.).
The caravansary was structured in courtyard style which consisted of an amalgamation of summary and wintery types. It is 104 metres in tall and 62 metres in width. Some pieces wich were used on the external wall of the stone building are from the periods which are before Islam. The caravansary is located in 25 kms on the road of Konya Aksaray in the subdistrict of Tömek.
Located 8 kms from the cith centre on the present Konya-Ankara road for wintery in 1248.
One of the examples of caravansarys which was built in trade roads in the period of Anatolia Seljuk is Obruk caravansary.
Byzantine period stones, which were brought from the ancient settlements, were used in the structure of the wall of the caravansary. Obruk caravansary is located on the road which joins Konya to Aksaray.
Konya Archaeology Museum was opened in Karma Secondary School in 1901. later it was moved to Mevlâna museum in 1927 was moved to Iplikçi mosque in 1953 finally the present building was constructed in 1962. Works of art belonging to the Neolithic, Early Bronze, Middle Bronze (Asur trade colonies) Iron (Phyrigian, Urartu), Early Hittite, Roman, Greek and Byzantine periods are displayed in the museum. Roman sarcophagus are worth seeing in the archaeology. Altar tombs from the Roman and Byzantine periods are displayed in its courtyard and inside. Embossing excavations which were made by the museum management the findings which is about church floor mosaics belongs to 6th century A.C. in Sille Tatköy and Çumra Alibeyhöyük were removed from there and displayed in the museum.
The building which was built as a region museum for education purposes was opened as ethnographic museum in 1975. there are, at the ground of the three floored building, photographs, archieves, belongings, study research stores. At the ground floor there is a wide display room. This museum exhibits significant local handicrafts, ethnographic pieces which were collected from Konya and its around.
KOYUNOĞLU MUSEUM AND LIBRARY
A.R. İzzet KOYUNOĞLU who is one of the old and well-known families in Konya has established a museum and a library for significant books and historical works which he had collected for years in his house in Topraklık subdistrict. Later he had donated library and museum which he had established to Metropolitan Municipality of Konya. The museum was constructed and formed as the present complex by Metropolitan Municipality of Konya to respond every requirements of modern museum manners. Archeological and ethnographic works are displayed in the museum. The house which belongs to Izzet Koyunuğlu in the courtyard of the museum was restorated and opened to public as a model of the classic houses of Konya. The old and the new civil architecture style are combined in the building. The museum are rather rich in manuscripts and printed works.
The house which is located in Atatürk street was built in 1912. The building which is a sample of 20th century national architectures was presented to Atatürk in 1928 by the people of Konya. It was opened to public as a museum in 1954. Atatürk’s belongings, oficial documents which tell the situation of the people of Konya in the national liberation war and chronological photographs are displayed in the museum.
The library which is located at the west of the Selimiye Mosque was built by Kethuda Yusuf Ağa in 1795. The library has been serving with its unique manuscripts to those researchers who come from all over the world.
Copyright ATSciences © 2016